While boating, you see a red flag with white diagonal stripe. What does this flag mean? You have to take care of everything while kayaking, maybe water sports play a big role in your life. But you also have to keep in mind that a small mistake can have dire consequences. So we need to be aware of all the situations we have to face while kayaking. One such important thing is the signal flag, which helps to alert the kayakers near or in any situation.
What is a diver down the flag (or a Red Flag with White Diagonal Stripe)?
- This flag is usually hoisted on a floating load, kayak or ship, it can be easily seen by other divers and kayakers during kayaking. The white diagonal line of the flag is made of reflective material so that the flag can be easily seen at night.
- While kayaking you may see a flag with a white diagonal stripe and the question that comes to your mind is what does this flag mean? The flag is known as the diver down flag. This flag helps other kayakers and divers to know when divers are in the water.
- The flag has a diving limit of about 90 meters for other kayakers to seriously understand where to go and where not to go with their kayak.
- This diagonal striped flag was created in 1956 by Denzel James Dockery. And Ted Nixon, a US diver, made it popular throughout the United States.
Guidelines for the divers and kayakers
The first thing that comes to mind when diving, kayaking is safety. Any kind of incident can happen while diving or kayaking. Different companies come up with different guidelines to reduce accidents during kayaking.
Here are some rules to follow:
- In case of injury or mishap, remove it properly and make emergency plans. Read the procedures correctly and plan an action accordingly. Always be careful while kayaking.
- If your kayak’s engine suddenly shuts off during kayaking, enter the water as fast as you can, otherwise you are more likely to get injured. Contact the kayaking group if possible
- Be sure to keep yourself away from alcohol before going diving or kayaking. You will violate Florida law if your alcohol level is above 0.0 and your respiratory alcohol level is above .02. Alcohol plays a major role in 50% of all boat accidents, according to TPWD, Texas.
- Take the help of the flag in case of accident or emergency, so that the flags of other kayakers are visible and they can easily get in your way by marking your location.
Guidelines for the Drivers of Boats (Boaters)
If you are a kayaker, you probably know that there are some safety guidelines and rules for kayaking. These rules ensure that the divers and kayakers around the boat are safe.
Here are some guidelines to follow:
- You need to make sure you have all kinds of equipment and life jackets. Use first aid kits, communication systems and oxygen units.
- The first guide for a kayaker to avoid any kind of accident is to look for other kayakers in the water.
- The boat / ship owner or operator must store or carry some safety equipment regulated by the US Coast Guard (USCG).
- Search for the flag in the water. Divers may not be visible due to waves, flashes and weather, so try to watch carefully.
What To Do If You See Such Red Flag With a Diagonal Stripe While Boating?
As a boatman you must know what this means and how much you need to protect the water.
Here are some tips:
- If you already know that people come here for diving while boating, then walk slowly through this place. Because we make mistakes and break the law. So don’t expect the flag all the time, even if it’s a serious violation of the law.
- Be sure to keep your boat at least 300 feet away from the flat. If you don’t want to hurt anyone and want to be safe, stay away from flats.
- Double check the back of your boat. Be sure to check that no one is near or below your propeller before starting the boat.
- If someone comes near your boat, try to communicate. Warn them to stay away and let them know you are coming. People should look for and see clearly around.
- Next to that red alpha flag, always look for SMB or DSMB (Surface Marker Boy) as dieters can use it instead of the traditional flag of the traditional mariner.
- You never know when an accident will happen. Always carry the necessary first aid kit and oxygen and other basic safety equipment in your boat.